Work history

 Melissa Bean Sterzick

Being a freelance writer gives me the chance to connect with amazing people and tell great stories. I also love being a part of the editorial process – creating a publication from inception to distribution is, in my opinion, the ideal job.

I've been working as a freelancer for many years and am currently looking for more long-term clients. My experience includes writing, editing, managing production, and proofreading for magazines, newspapers and websites. Wherever I work as a contractor, I make it a point to understand the company culture, learn and enhance the voice of the brand, and be a productive part of the team.

Lately, I’m interviewing high-dollar donors and hometown heroes, and simplifying complicated medical information for readers as freelance writer for my local hospital’s magazines. Other regular work includes supporting a national business-to-business magazine as its copy editor and proofreader.

In addition, I write for several national publications. I pitch ideas, do research and interviews, and make information about complex topics accessible to the reader. Some of my other clients contract with me to create web copy, newsletter articles, branding and marketing materials.

In the past, I’ve worked as a reporter for daily newspapers including The Dallas Morning News and The Deseret News. As a reporter for The Dallas Morning News, I covered business, features, and religion for the Arlington bureau. For several years, I was the editor (and staff of one) for the membership magazine of the American Youth Soccer Organization. At AYSO, I also wrote and edited company newsletter, handbooks, and other internal communications.